Sunday, July 19, 2009

lazy day pickles

Greetings all! Before I get started, the last blog was a big vent and I feel better having said it all. Life is a little more settled today and I wanted to take the time to share a taste of summer that I hope you continue to use every summer. In the height of the season, so much produce comes on at once and those that garden/cook know that it's hard to get to it all without it becoming overwhelming. So, while you can, please give these Lazy Day Pickles a try. A new batch every week keeps us going and it's a "keeper". The caterer said so....(me).


Lazy Day Refrigerator Pickles

6 C. sliced cucumbers
1 C. sliced onions
1 C. white vinegar
1/2 C. water
1 1/4 C.sugar
1 t. pickling or coarse sea salt
1 t. celery seed
1/2 t. mustard seed
1/2 t. tumeric

In a tupperware or crock you can cover, combine cucumbers and onions. In a large saucepan, combine all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir to make sure sugar gets dissolved. Pour hot mixture over cucumbers and onions. Refrigerate 24 hours for flavor to develop. I usually can't wait that long ! yumm yumm!!