Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mornin' Glory Muffins


I thought that since it was a beautiful day in rural Indiana, I'd share this recipe with you. Even though the history of Morning Glory Muffins have been around forever they seemed to be on the back burner for a long time in my house. To me, they are breakfast all on their own and a good snack for some long days of activity as well. I've "healthied" them up a little since the old 70's days. This may have to appear more frequently on my breakfast menu since it's grab and run to get to the garden days!

2 C.unbleached flour 1/2 C.Chopped nuts
1 1/4 C. sugar 1/2 C. unsweetened flaked coconut
2 t. baking soda 1 apple, peeled, cored,grated
2 t. cinnamon 3 eggs
1/4 t salt 1/2 C. oil
2 C. shredded organic carrots 1/2 C. applesauce
1/2 C. white raisins (or currants, or black) 2 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Stir in the carrot,raisins, nuts, coconut and apple.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into carrot/flour mixture, just until moistened. Scoop into prepared muffin cups (I had them really full!).
Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack for 10 minutes then remove from pan to continue cooling. Yum!